Lauren Uyeno is the National Director of Professional Groups at Workiva. We spoke about how she created a user group within a community to help her organisation work with ESG, which stands for Environmental, Social and Governance. ESG encompasses the measures and strategies that companies are taking to act responsibly – for example, when it comes to sustainability and having a diverse and inclusive workforce.
In this conversation, we dove into what user groups are, how to create and run them and how Lauren uses her community-building skills to lead in an area where she is not an expert herself.
In this podcast, Lauren and I talk about:
- Challenges she faced when bringing together multiple communities based on different platforms and how she increased discoverability
- What the process of starting a new community or user group while ESG and sustainability are just starting to gain interest looks like
- What makes user groups so valuable
- How to use community and user groups to help companies work with new rules and regulations that are impacting their industry
- Ways to balance an in-person user group with an online community and keep everyone on the same page
- How community building differs from what most companies are used to and why it is the business model of the future
- What it takes to build and nurture a community